MOGADISHU, Jan. 16 (Xinhua) -- Somali Prime Minister Mohamed Roble on Sunday condemned a suicide bomb attack targeting government spokesman Mohamed Ibrahim Moalimuu in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia, earlier in the day.
Roble said Moalimuu, a former journalist who sustained wounds during the midday attack at Dabka intersection in Mogadishu, is in stable condition.
"The prime minister wishes Moalimuu quick recovery," Roble's office said in a statement after Moalimuu, a government spokesman based at the office of the prime minister, survived the attack after a suicide bomber detonated explosives behind Moalimuu's vehicle.
Abdifitah Aden, the police spokesman, told journalists the government official who was alone during the incident, escaped with slight injuries and is recuperating at a hospital in Mogadishu.
Aden said there are no other casualties in the latest incident for which the al-Shabab militant group has claimed responsibility.
"The suicide bomber blew himself up behind the government spokesman's vehicle which was extensively damaged. Nobody else was injured apart from Moalimuu," Aden said.
It is the fourth attempt on Moalimuu's life after he survived three other such attacks in the past in the country while working as a journalist.
The latest attack which also destroyed parts of the buildings near the scene comes after Moalimuu had announced his candidature for a parliamentary seat in the country.
The Somali forces backed by the African Union Mission in Somalia drove al-Shabab out of Mogadishu in 2011, but the terror group is still capable of conducting attacks, targeting government installations, hotels, restaurants and public places.