Wed, 25 May 2022

SANAA, May 9 (Xinhua) -- Heavy fighting broke out between the Yemeni government army and Houthi militia on Monday despite a two-month truce brokered by the United Nations, a source from the pro-government army told Xinhua.

The clashes took place at the frontline in the al-Balak al-Sharki mountain, a few kilometers to the south of the government-controlled city of Marib, the capital of Yemen's central province of Marib.

"Several soldiers were wounded in the clashes," the source said on condition of anonymity.

According to the city's residents, artillery fire and heavy machine guns were heard throughout the morning.

Houthi media has made no comment yet.

So far the cease-fire has been largely held despite occasional accusations of breaches traded between the warring sides.

The UN-brokered cease-fire, meant to last two months, went into effect on April 2, marking the first major breakthrough in years to end the war that has killed tens of thousands of people and pushed the country on the brink of starvation.

Yemen has been mired in a civil war since late 2014 when the Iran-backed Houthi militia seized control of several northern provinces and forced the Saudi-backed Yemeni government out of the capital Sanaa.

More Yemen News

Access More

Sign up for Yemen News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!