SANAA, May 19 (Xinhua) -- Yemen's Houthi militia said they are considering a request by the UN envoy to extend the ongoing two-month truce with the Yemeni government, Houthi-run al-Masirah TV reported on Thursday.
"The supreme political council is now considering the request to extend the truce, which expires on June 2," the TV said.
Starting on April 2, the internationally-recognized Yemeni government and the Houthi group have been observing a UN-brokered two-month ceasefire, which also entails allowing two commercial flights a week to and from the Houthi-held Sanaa airport, the entry of 18 fuel ships into the Houthi-held port of Hodeidah, and lifting the siege of the government-held Taiz city.
So far, the ceasefire has been largely held despite sporadic fighting between the Houthis and the Yemeni government.
A total of 12 ships carrying more than 340,000 tonnes of fuel have been allowed by the Yemeni government into the Hodeidah port since the beginning of the truce. Moreover, the Sanaa airport opened to commercial flights for the first time in six years this week after several setbacks.
The warring sides have yet to reach an agreement on lifting the siege of Taiz.
The truce marks the first breakthrough in years to end the war in Yemen that has killed tens of thousands of people and pushed the country to the brink of starvation.